National Treasury Employees Union
Local Federal Employees to Rally Against Shutdown
Kansas City, MO —
Federal employees from NTEU Chapter 66 will rally on January 10th
2019, directly across from the Internal Revenue Service building at 333 W. Pershing, Kansas City, MO 64108, to call for an end to the partial government shutdown. The shutdown is having a severe impact of furloughed federal employees and those who are required to work without knowing when they will be paid.
The National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU) Chapter 66 represents over 4,300 members in Kansas City who work for the Internal Revenue Service.
: Federal employees impacted by the partial government
: January 10, 2019
: Directly Across from IRS Building @ 333 W Pershing
: 12:00pm- 1:00 pm
Thousands of our brothers and sisters have already forgone part of their paycheck and thousands more are about to face their first payday without a paycheck this week. All for work they are still
proudly doing for the American people every day. They need solidarity at this critical time, but what they really need is help and action.
On January 3, by a vote of 241-190, the House passed a $272.4 billion spending package (HR 21
) combining six unfinished bills that would fund the Agriculture, Interior, Commerce, Justice, Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, Treasury and State departments through September. And by a margin of 239-192, the House passed a stopgap measure (H J Res 1
) extending current funding for the Department of Homeland Security through Feb. 8 to allow more time for negotiations on a border wall. All Senate Democrats have indicated they would vote for these House bills. We need the Republican-controlled Senate to bring up these bills ASAP.
As Labor, our task is simple: pass the House bills and open the government. If politicians want to have a debate about the wall or border security, they should do it while the government is open.
Here’s how you can help:
Attend the rally Jan 10th at 333 W Pershing Rd. at noon
- Circulate our toll-free hotline (866-803-8830) among your affiliated unions so union members can call Congress and demand they fully fund the government today. The flier is attached here and available at http://wftoolkit.org/.
- Use aflcio.org/ShutdownToolkit to access talking points, fliers, and sample social media graphics to carry our message widely.
- Encourage union members to use twitter and facebook to share the implications of the shutdown of real workers. Use the hashtag #ShutdownStories.
- Organize your affiliated unions to send a delegation of leaders and workers to your senators’ office and demand they vote to end the shutdown. If they will not meet with you, hold a public action outside their office or at an airport or other relevant location and invite the press.
- To prepare for lobby meetings, we encourage you to use the CSE 101 training, included in the toolkit, to help prepare workers to share their stories. Feel free to review other CSE Training guides here: aflcio.org/cse-materials, and report how your training go here: go.aflcio.org/cse-reports.